Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Singing Civil Rights: The Freedom Song Tradition"


        Reed Stated that the Martin Luther King Jr Singlehanded started the Civil Rights Movement. It has always been in the back of my mind that Dr. king started the movement because he was the main name I would hear in the books and buzzing around. As learning more about the Black history, I learned that many people have put in more of a major impact to the movement. Dr. King was more of a representative and was willing to step up to speak for his people. It has changed my understanding about the movement cause now I know that there is many more people that gave there time as well as he did to make change happen. 
       Another myth Reed pointed out was that the movement was magically taught of by Blacks one day. The Civil Rights Movement took years of planning from the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) and SNCC ( Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee). They put in a lot of work and time to plan out the outcomes that they wanted to happen. When Reed pointed this out i then realized that I never knew how it started ( the roots of it ), he pointed a very good myth because I believed that Dr.king just started talking about change one day and made things happen. 

Reed changed my thoughts about the movement to believed that everything that happen was organized. While learning about civil disobedience like the montgomery  bus boycott was a set up, the NAACP put the whole boycott together which was very clever. Reeds saying made sense for every other event that happen well not all but most.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm - look at your first sentence - is that what you mean? I think, as you're getting at, that sometimes it's easier to tell a story about individuals than about groups - the Gladwell article I posted about group organizing has some interesting ideas about this.

    ReplyDelete