Thursday, October 14, 2010

Eyes on the Prize

        One of the main factors that lead the Civil Rights Movement was the black soldiers that had came back from the World War II. They were able to experience other countries and states around the world to see what it was like living somewhere else. They came back with an attitude of wanting to make change in the South. 
The murder of Emmett Till was another leading factor to the Civil Rights Movement because his murderers was found not guilty to the crime they have committed. Everyone knew once the guys were found not guilty that things would have to change because justice wasn’t seek for it. Emmett did not deserve to die because he didn’t know any better about the rules of the South because he was originally from the North. 
The Rosa Park boycott sparked a lot attention in the South because she refused to offer her seat to a white gentlemen who wanted to sit there. There was plenty of seats available for him but he wanted to be obnoxious and bother her. Rosa was arrested and the media caught attention of it, spreading word, all blacks then began to boycott that lasted little more than a year. 
What I learned about the Civil Rights Movement was that our people fought there hardest to help the later generation not go through segregation. Also that we should be grateful what the pain they encounter trying to fight for freedom and equality. I wouldn’t like to learn anymore that i already know about the history because its very hurtful to hear and see the actions that took place. Seeing the movie helped me realized the actions were very severe and now I’m grateful for having the freedom i have now. While growing up and learning about the history in school didn’t seem that serious as I learned now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ronnie - That's an interestng comment you make about some of what we're discussing being painful. This is something you could explore more in your writing and in our discussions: what is the value of seeing images, for example, that are disturbing? Emmett Till's mother was faced with this question when she made the decision to have his funeral be open casket and have the photograph be published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never paid much attention to the black history other than that they fought for our freedom. You introduced me into facts and proof of the real actions that have taken place and it opened up my mind to the fact that there is more to the story than what I learned. I even spoke to my grandmother about what I found out from class and I thought to myself that I appreciate what they did for us to be where I'm at now. The Emmett Till story really got to me i could point out, that whole scenario was just unfair.

    ReplyDelete